Many people are at risk of work injury as they constantly work with heavy machinery and tools. There are also many different types of jobs that employees can be held accountable for. Some may need to use their hands a lot, while others may have to do a lot more lifting or even, in the case of a cashier, standing for hours on end. We look at the most common injuries and what you can do if you are one of the unfortunate ones to be struck by an object at work.
Most people who work in a pragmatic know the importance of being aware of their surroundings. You must always be conscious of anything in your path and take measures to avoid potential accidents. But sometimes, no matter how careful you are, something unexpected can happen. For example, what should you do if you’re working at a desk and an object suddenly falls off a shelf and strikes you in the head?
- In the United States, there were 2,644,000 non-fatal injuries and illnesses at work in 2016. 551,000 of these injuries were bad enough to keep the worker from working for at least one day.
- In 2016, -598,000 injuries and illnesses at work were reported in California. It was the most of any state. It’s 24 per cent of the total for the whole country and 8 per cent more than in 2015. Musculoskeletal disorders were the most common type of work injury in California. They made up 36% of all work injuries.
- Over 121,000 workers were hurt at work by objects in 2016. It was the cause of more than 10% of all non-fatal workplace injuries. Most of these injuries were caused by a tool or piece of equipment.
If you are injured at work, it is important to know what to do to protect your rights. If an object strikes you, you should immediately report the incident to your supervisor. You should also seek medical attention if you are injured. Be sure to keep a record of all medical expenses and lost wages. You may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. If your employer does not have workers’ compensation insurance, you may be able to sue for damages.
Types of Work Injuries
At work, people can get hurt in many different ways. Here are some of the most common:
– Falls, slips, and trips
– Getting hit by something
– Repetitive strain injuries
If you get any of these work injuries, you need to know what to do next. Read on to find out more.
What To Do If An Object Strikes You At Work?
- Getting medical help right away is important if something hits you at work. It’s always better to be safe than sorry, even if you don’t think you’re hurt. You can focus on filing a work injury claim with your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance after you’ve seen a doctor.
- It’s important to write down everything about your work injury, like how the accident happened and what medical care you’ve gotten. Keep all of your medical records, bills, and letters from your employer or the insurance company for workers’ compensation.
- If you are having trouble getting your work injury claim approved, you may need to hire a lawyer specializing in workers’ compensation cases. An experienced lawyer can guide you through the complicated claims process and help you get the money you deserve.
Workers’ Rights & Safety Laws
If you get a work injury, you have certain rights under the law. You are entitled to receive workers’ compensation benefits. You may also be able to sue your employer if your injury was caused by negligence.
- If you get hurt at work because something fell on you, you should tell your boss. If you can, take pictures of the accident scene and the thing that hit you. If you decide to file a workers’ compensation claim or a personal injury lawsuit, these will be important pieces of proof.
- After a work injury accident, you should also see a doctor as soon as possible. Tell your doctor how you got hurt so that your medical records are accurate.
- It would be best to talk to a skilled workers ‘ compensation lawyer after telling someone about the accident and getting medical help. A lawyer can help you figure out how the workers’ compensation system works and ensure you get all the benefits you are owed. If your employer was careless, a workers’ comp lawyer could also help you sue your employer for a work injury.
If you get hurt at work, you should do what you need to protect your rights. This article tells you what to do if you get hurt at work because of something that hit you. Visit Gaylord and Nantais Attorneys or call us at (562) 561-2669 / (213) 732-3436 / (805) 800-8799 if you have more questions. We’re here to help you get the compensation you’re entitled to.