Here are some key facts to understand and consider before you hire a lawyer and seek asbestos compensation:
- Mesothelioma and other asbestos-related illnesses can take up to 40 years to develop.
- In most–if not all–circumstances, you only have three years from the time of your diagnosis to file a claim. Some states, however, only give you one year from the time of diagnosis to file a claim.
- If you are the family member of a loved one who has died from mesothelioma or another asbestos related illness, you typically have between one and three years to file an asbestos compensation claim.
- People who are diagnosed with mesothelioma are not allowed to join class action lawsuits. In the eyes of the law, each person’s diagnosis and circumstances are different, so suits must be filed individually.
- If you are considering filing an asbestos compensation claim, it is extremely important to work with a lawyer who has extensive experience and a long track record of success with asbestos related lawsuits and claims.
- One of the best ways to find a highly qualified, highly effective lawyer is to interview lawyers, ask for tangible proof of successes and ask to speak to former clients.