Los Angeles | West Covina | Santa Ana | Long Beach
Experience you need.
Trust you expect.
Results you want.

Call Us (Available 24/7)

(562) 561-2669
(213) 732-3436
(805) 800-8799

Se Habla Espanol !​


Mon - Fri
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

The Different Types of Workers’ Comp Claims and How to File Them?

Workers' Compensation Claims | Gaylord and Nantais Attorney

Workers’ compensation is legal insurance in the U.S. and many other countries that helps pay for medical care and lost wages for workers who get sick or hurt. Most of the time, the state government runs the program as a part of their social welfare programs. Workers’ compensation claims and laws are made because injuries at work often cause people to miss time at work and file lawsuits. So that employees don’t have to go to court, the rules try to give them fixed amounts of money.

This article will explain how to file different workers’ compensation claims.

Different kinds Of Workers’ Comp Claims

There are three types of workers’ compensation claims: those for medical care only, those for only temporary total disability, and those for permanent and total disability.

1. Workers’ comp claims for only medical care

Medical-only workers’ comp claims are made when an employee gets hurt or sick on the job and can link it directly to their job duties. To be considered a “medical-only” claim, the worker must not have been hurt or sick in any other way outside of work.

Medical-only workers’ compensation claims usually cover back injuries, carpal tunnel syndrome, slips and falls, and occupational asthma, among other injuries and illnesses. If an employee gets hurt or sick on the job and the injury or illness can be directly linked to the job, the claim is likely to be accepted.

Benefits of workers’ comp claims for medical care only.

First of all, if you get hurt, you won’t have to pay for the care you need. It can help if you don’t have a job and can’t pay your medical bills.

Also, if you only file a claim for medical costs, you might be able to get money to make up for the wages you lost. It means you can get some of the money you would have made but can’t because you can’t work.

2. Claims for temporary total disability

Temporary total disability (TTD) is a workers’ compensation benefit that replaces a worker’s income when they can’t work because of an illness or injury caused by their job. TTD payments are usually made until the employee goes back to work or the compensation claim is settled.

To get TTD benefits, an employee must be temporarily unable to work because of an illness or injury. The worker must also show that their job directly caused the illness or injury. Workers can’t get TTD payments if they get hurt or sick in a way that has nothing to do with their job.

3. Claims for total and permanent disability

Permanent total disability (PTD) is a type of insurance claim made when someone is found to be permanently unable to work in any way, either physically or mentally. Most of the time, PTD benefits are given in addition to Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI). They are meant to help the claimant keep a reasonable level of financial security.

Two things must be true for a person to get PTD benefits. First, the person who is making a claim can’t work. It means that the person’s disability is so bad that they can’t do even the simplest job tasks.

How do I file a workers’ compensation claim?

In California, the general steps for most cases of workers’ compensation are the same.

  • To file a worker compensation claim, you need to tell your boss as soon as possible about your injuries.
  • You will also have to write down when and how the injury happened on an incident report.
  • After that, you’ll have to file a claim with your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance company.
  • Assist both your boss and the insurance company with the whole process.
  • Get the care and therapy you need from a doctor to get better.

Talk to us! It can be not easy to get benefits from workers’ compensation. When things go wrong like this, Gaylord and Nantais Law Offices shine. We can help you file your claim and get your benefits rightfully. If you want to learn more about our services, you can visit our website or call us at (562) 561-2669 / (213) 732-3436 / (805) 800-8799.


Picture of Thomas M. Nantais

Thomas M. Nantais

Thomas M. Nantais is the Partner of Gaylord & Nantais, a legal firm specializing in workers’ compensation, in the state of California. This firm deals in getting hearing loss compensation and work related injuries compensation for those who have worked in the state of California. With his sincere efforts, Thomas is committed to meet the highest standards of the legal industry, and aims to provide the clients with an honest and aggressive representation.

Leave a Reply

Need Help?

Get a Free Case Evaluation

Get your case evaluated from the most trusted attorney in Long Beach and Los Angeles