In California, construction accidents frequently happen and often cause serious injuries. Injuries from construction accidents can range from mild to so serious that they need immediate and serious medical care. Workers’ Compensation Insurance usually pays for workers’ injuries, but there are other legal options when a construction accident is caused by safety violations or someone else’s carelessness. The possible long-term effects of a construction accident can have a big impact on both the victims and their family’s well-being.
What are the main causes that lead to accidents on construction sites?
- Falls – Falls cause nearly 47% of all deaths and injuries on construction sites. Many falls occur because scaffolding, ladders, and other tools aren’t working right. When you fall from a high spot, you may be severely hurt or even die.
- Fires and blasts – Dangers include exposed wiring, leaking pipes, flammable chemicals, damaged gas mains, unattended blow torches, and welding gear. It can also kill workers working with machinery and its tools and severely injure them.
- Electrocution – Mishandling or using malfunctioning electrical instruments like electric saws nearly kills workers. 126 workers died from exposure to electricity in 2020.
- Welding – Most construction sites require welding, but mishaps can cause severe injuries and long-term consequences.
- Equipment struck – Construction workers are at risk of being hit by big machinery like cranes, forklifts, and dumpsters every day. which leads to accidents and injuries.
Injuries that are common in construction accidents
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones and crush injuries
- Burn injuries
- Injuries on the back, neck, and shoulders
- Knee injuries
- Tears in muscles and ligaments
- Injury from doing the same thing over and over
- Strokes and heart attacks
Who is responsible for a construction accident in California?
A large portion of a California construction accident attorney’s job is determining who is at fault for an accident. Our attorneys at the Gaylord and Nantais Firm consult with professionals in accident reconstruction to help establish liability.
Injured workers are protected by workers’ compensation, which offers benefits including lost earnings and medical expenses. However, if a construction accident was caused by carelessness, an injured worker may be able to file a civil action against any number of parties, such as:
- General builders
- Producers of machinery and equipment
What is appropriate after an accident on the construction site?
After a construction accident, it’s important to stay calm and look at the scene. At the scene of a construction accident, you should do the following:
- Check for injuries in yourself and others.
- If someone is hurt, call for emergency medical help.
- If there were witnesses, write their names and how to reach them.
- Take photos of the scene and any people who are hurt.
- Find out if the accident was caught on video by any security cameras.
Contact Our Committed Construction Accident Lawyer in California
If you or someone you care about has been hurt in a construction accident, we will give you the knowledgeable help and reliable service you deserve. Gaylord and Nantais have a well-deserved prestige for helping construction workers who have been hurt on the job. To make an appointment with an attorney, you can call (562) 561-2669 at any time.